Topics discussed: Customer Acquisition, general Product Management
Featured Product: Weight Watchers
Andres Glusman awarded “Product Person of the Year 2012”
- Change brought to Meetup.com:
- Change the Attitude to failure – “we don’t know the truth” about this new problem, failure is the most likely outcome.
- Experiments to determine if you are close to what is required.
- Eg – thoroughly test a core flow. Mock-ups usability tests, prototypes – 4 tests per week. 600 per year.. Use results to guide development.
- Meetup uses RSVPs as a key metric for measuring success.
- Meetup “builds for everyone” – This is exceedingly hard.
- Key demographic they are getting traction in at this point – moms.”Most meetups happen in living rooms, not boardrooms”
Customer Acquisition strategies
- Offer useful Tools, resources and webinars – some free.
- Getting and converting leads – Capture and analyze related data – Best day, and month etc…
- In this particular instance this analysis was conducted by a custom app. Salesforce implementation did not succeed in this regard.
- Gamifying the site – game company. Still analyzing impact.
- Frank Robinson, Eric Ries & Fred Wilson. – Product Management thought leaders
- Triggers and alerts, and notifications to make social.
- Start off with small Small samples for different channels. Invest in what works.
- Highest driver was being in blogs (not necessarily Techcrunch)
- Find out influences are and get them to tweet, and blog etc.. YouTube influencers work.
- Klout works for some companies for determining influencers
- Email works for some companies for customer acquisition.
- Quality of acquisitions important i.e. engagement of acquired customers.
- Being on top of app store huge boost.
- Enterprise sales – mock ups get feedback. use Beta release and Usage numbers to gauge participation and course correct.
- To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others – by Dan pink. Book on the nature of sales today.
- Predictable Revenue – by Aaron Ross & Marylou Tyler. Book on enterprise sales through Salesforce.